Return to: Additional Programs
Mrs. Kathy Shipman
ELC 314 (MT Tech campus)
The University of Montana - Western (UMW) and Montana Tech (MT) are collaborating to offer a Bachelor’s in Elementary Education Program to UMW students. Through UMW, students can complete required education course work at the MT campus and/or online to obtain a Bachelor’s Degree in Elementary Education from UMW. Through MT, students can complete the general education course work on the MT campus or a combination of on-campus and online courses to satisfy general education requirements for the UMW Elementary Education Bachelor’s Degree. This program is designed to meet the needs of a population of full-time employed students in the Butte and surrounding areas who need courses offered at night, on weekends or online. School-based field experiences and student teaching will occur during day hours. UMW and MT course work will be offered during fall, spring and summer semesters and will be offered based upon an agreed upon 4-year UMW and MT course schedule.
General Notes For Students Simultaneously Taking Courses From Both Montana Tech (MT) & UM-Western (UMW)
Students must be formally admitted to the institution from which they are taking the majority of creidts in that semester, and must complete an Application for Admission Short Form for the other institution.
Students must register with the campus that the course belongs to (e.g., PSYX 100 - register with MT and EDU 201 register with UMW).
If receiving financial aid, students must contact the Financial Aid Office of the institution where they are taking the majority of credits and complete a Consortium Agreement Form and Duel Enrollment Form to ensure courses are payed at both institutions
- Students will receive separate bills from each institution’s Business Office.
- Students enrolled in classes on more than one campus should request a refund of excess fees paid, using the Request of Refund of Excess Fees Paid Form, available from the Business Office.
- Students planning on entering the Teacher Education Program at UMW must apply and interview for admission after having completed the first two years of any of the following curricula and after having completed the pre-education courses in the curricula. Upon acceptance into the Teacher Education Program, UMW will assign these students an advisor. Education program requirements are outlined in the UMW Education Student Handbook available at the UMW Bookstore, or online at UMW’s homepage.
- Students must maintain a 3.0 GPA in education courses taken from UMW (one C is allowed, but must be offset by an equivalent number of credits A), and a C- in all general education courses required. Students must have a GPA of 2.5 to enter into the Teacher Education Program and to be eligible for student teaching. Students are also required to meet the appropriate academic eligibility requirements of each institution in which they are enrolled.
- The definition of what constitutes a full-time student will likely depend on the context (academic eligibility, athletic eligibility, financial aid eligibility, etc) in which this definition is required.
- Advisors for the following curricula are:
||Dr. Amy Kuenzi
||Business & Information Technology
||Dr. Tim Kober
||Dr. Hilary Risser
ProgramsBachelor of ScienceBachelor of Science/CertificateCertificate
Return to: Additional Programs