The Liberal Studies Program continues a Montana Tech tradition of offering quality courses in the Humanities and Social Sciences The program stresses self-expression, self-definition, and self-fulfillment. Students are encouraged to develop their intellectual capacities as well as the ability to think analytically, creatively, and critically. Personal advising attention, abundant electives, and systematic career planning help prepare LS students for rewarding careers.
The mission of the Liberal Studies Program is to provide students with a broad-based, quality education in the Humanities and Social Sciences, leading to a Bachelor of Science degree with a strong career focus.
The educational objectives of the Liberal Studies Program include the following:
- Graduates will be prepared to pursue a successful career in a field consistent with their interests and abilities.
- Graduates will demonstrate a set of valuable theoretical and practical skills.
- Graduates will understand the interaction of people within societies and their ethical obligations as members of society.
The educational outcomes of the Liberal Studies Program include the following:
- The ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
- The ability to demonstrate a capacity for critical thinking.
- The ability to work cooperatively with others in groups and teams.
- An awareness of human diversity and exposure to a variety of cultures.
- An understanding of human history and social interaction.
- An appreciation for the role of philosophy, the arts, and literature in society.
- A commitment to life-long learning.
The Liberal Studies Program is committed to an assessment process that extends through the undergraduate years and beyond graduation, to ensure consistent quality and to facilitate improvements to the Liberal Studies curriculum.
ProgramsBachelor of ScienceCertificateNon-Degree