The Liberal Studies Program continues a Montana Tech tradition of offering quality courses in the Humanities and Social Sciences The program stresses self-expression, self-definition, and self-fulfillment. Students are encouraged to develop their intellectual capacities as well as the ability to think analytically, creatively, and critically. Personal advising attention, abundant electives, and systematic career planning help prepare LS students for rewarding careers.
The mission of the Liberal Studies Program is to provide students with a broad-based, quality education in the Humanities and Social Sciences, leading to a Bachelor of Science degree with a strong career focus.
The educational objectives of the Liberal Studies Program include the following:
- Graduates will have an appreciation for the role of philosophy, the arts, and literature in society.
- Graduates will have a commitment to life-long learning.
- Graduates will have the ability to work cooperatively with others in groups and teams.
The educational outcomes of the Liberal Studies Program include the following:
- Students earning a BS in Liberal Studies will have the necessary knowledge and skills to obtain employment upon graduation.
- Students will demonstrate competency in critical thinking skills.
- Students will demonstrate competency within the Humanities.
- Students will demonstrate competency within the Social Sciences.
- Students will demonstrate competency within the Communication Sciences.
The Liberal Studies Program is committed to an assessment process that extends through the undergraduate years and beyond graduation, to ensure consistent quality and to facilitate improvements to the Liberal Studies curriculum. This assessment process includes a combination of nationally normed standardized examination, frequent contact with alumni and alumnae, and a capstone experience.
ProgramsBachelor of ScienceNon-Degree